Thursday, March 19, 2009

New SWer, new info...

Stacy (new foster care SWer) called back yesterday. She was really nice and easy to talk with. She likes my ringback tone...which is "So what" by Pink. She sounds young and fun. She told me that there are a few docs we need to fill out but that is all. She said we could be approved to care for non-family member children in just a couple of weeks.
Then she goes "if you were already approved you could have a baby tomorrow." I was like "hold on"...hehehe! Really though she said that they are always looking for foster families. She asked me if we are interested in a boy or a girl. I really hadn't thought about it. The last I knew A wanted another son. Anyhow, I told her that we would not be ready until after our nieces go home which should be in May, June or July. Hey, the date seems to be getting pushed back all the time but that's another post.
I explained to her that A is very hesitant about all of this b/c of reunification. She said that since we want to foster/adopt, they will look out of us. She said there are only three SWers (including herself) that place children in homes. And she said that they know which children will be reunited with their BP's and which ones will mostly like not be. She also said if we feel uncomfortable with a situation we can always turn it down. I know there are no guarantees (I think of Lisa) but after talking with her I do feel better about it. She explained that very rarely TPR can take place in as little as three month but the average is anywhere from 6 mos. to a year. Oh and she said that totally cost will be about $200, which is for the birth certificate. I'm geeked!!! I'm praying this will eventually work out for us!

3 comments:

RB said...

It sounds great! I'm hoping it works out for you guys too :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a great option for you. Not only is it inexpensive, but in some cases, you can get the adoption tax credit for foster to adopt even though you didn't pay out any money. I would look into it, because it would actually get you money.

E said...

I'm so happy for you that getting your foster parent license has put you on the road to your #2!!